Interdisciplinary Studies, MS
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2020-2021. Learn more about Graduate College Academic Regulation 7.0.
Total Hours: 30 Hours
|6 Hours of Thesis||6|
|Select 24 hours based on plan of study:||24|
Total Hours: 32 Hours
|Select no more than 3 hours of research with a grade of “SR.”||1-3|
|Select courses based on plan of study||29-31|
Interdisciplinary Studies, MS, Requirements
The Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies is for students who wish to increase their competence in a particular thematic area by taking a series of courses in several disciplines. This multidisciplinary approach provides educational opportunities leading to a variety of careers. The Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies requires a minimum of two separate fields of study. The advisory committee will assist the student in formulating the Plan of Study.
An undergraduate grade-point average of 3.00 is required for unqualified admission. Students with a grade-point average between 2.50 and 3.00 may be admitted on a probationary basis.
Applications to the program should include:
- a cover letter indicating the personal goals and professional objectives to be obtained from the program;
- transcripts from all schools previously attended;
- three letters of recommendation from persons who can describe abilities, interest, and motivation as a student;
- a proposed course of study with an endorsement from an OSU faculty adviser.
Particular courses are not specified for the degree; the advisory committee can assist in selecting appropriate courses. The course of study must include at least 21 credit hours at the graduate level (5000 or above). Up to nine graduate hours can be transferred from a regionally-accredited graduate program with consent of the advisory committee. The student chooses one of master's degree plans:
- a 30-hour plan, including a six-hour research thesis;
- a 32-hour plan, which may include no more than three hours of research with a grade of “SR.” May include a culminating experience (e.g., final report, internship, practicum, comprehensive exam, and portfolio or capstone project)
Graduate College Master's Program Requirements
Learn more about Graduate College 2020-2021 Master’s Degree Program Requirements. Check the General Graduate College academic regulations for minimal GPA, language proficiency and other general requirements.