Secondary Education: Social Studies, BS
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2020-2021. Learn more about University Academic Regulation 3.1.
Minimum Overall Grade Point Average: 2.50
Total Hours: 124
|General Education Requirements|
|See Academic Regulation 3.5|
|ENGL 1113||Composition I||3|
|or ENGL 1313||Critical Analysis and Writing I|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Critical Analysis and Writing II|
|American History & Government|
|HIST 1483||American History to 1865 (H) 1||3|
|POLS 1113||American Government 1||3|
|Analytical & Quantitative Thought (A)|
|MATH or STAT course designated (A)||3|
|HIST 1613||Western Civilization to 1500 (H) 1||3|
|HIST 1623||Western Civilization after 1500 (H) 1||3|
|Natural Sciences (N)|
|Courses designated (N) with one (L)||8|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences (S)|
|GEOG 1113||Introduction to Cultural Geography (IS) 1||3|
|Additional General Education|
|Courses designated (A), (H), (N), or (S)||8|
|Diversity (D) & International Dimension (I)|
|May be completed in any part of the degree plan|
|Select at least one Diversity (D) course|
|Select at least one International Dimension (I) course|
|Minimum grade of “C” or “P” in each course|
|EDUC 1111||First Year Seminar||1|
|Select 11 hours of electives (3 hours may need to be foreign language)||11|
|Cultural Anthropology (IS)|
|Comparative Cultures (IS)|
|Teaching Writing in the Secondary Schools|
|Young Adult Literature|
|Reading for the Secondary Teacher|
|Professional Education Seminar|
|Psychological Foundations of Learning and Instruction|
|Minimum GPA 2.50 with a minimum grade of “C” in each course|
|ECON 2103||Introduction to Microeconomics (S)||3|
|ECON 2203||Introduction to Macroeconomics||3|
|Select 6 hours POLS (POLS 2013, POLS 2113 suggested)||6|
|HIST 3703||Oklahoma History (DH)||3|
|PSYC 1113||Introductory Psychology (S)||3|
|SOC 1113||Introductory Sociology (S)||3|
|U.S. American History|
|HIST 1493||American History Since 1865 (DH)||3|
|Select 6 upper-division hours of U.S. American HIST||6|
|American Colonial Period to 1750 (H)|
|Era of the American Revolution (H)|
|Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877|
|United States History, 1919-45 (DH)|
|United States History Since 1945 (DH)|
|Select one of the following areas:||12|
|World History and Geography Area|
|Select 3 hours of upper-division World History||3|
|East Asia to 1800 (H)|
|Colonial Latin America (H)|
|Reformation Europe, 1517-1648 (H)|
|Medieval Islamic History (H)|
|Select 3 hours of Non-Western History||3|
|Survey of Eastern Civilization (H)|
|GEOG 1713||World Regional Geography (IS)||3|
|or GLST 1713||World Regional Geography (IS)|
|Select 3 hours of Cultural Geography||3|
|Urban Geography (S)|
|Economic Geography (S)|
|Cultural Geography (S)|
|Exploring North America and Diversity (DS)|
|Select 6 hours of Sociology (3 hours must be upper division)||6|
|Racial and Ethnic Relations (DS)|
|Social Stratification (S)|
|Select 6 hours of Psychology (3 hours must be upper-division)||6|
|Psychology of Motivation|
|Comparative Psychology (N)|
|Professional Core Requirements|
|Minimum GPA 2.50 with a minimum grade of “C’ or “P” in each course|
|CIED 3313||Field Experience in the Secondary Schools||3|
|CIED 4713||Teaching and Learning in the Secondary School (Fall Semester prior to Student Teaching) 2||3|
|EDTC 3123||Applications of Educational Technologies||3|
|EPSY 3213||Psychology of Adolescence||3|
|SCFD 3223||Role of Teacher in American Schools (D)||3|
|SPED 3202||Educating Exceptional Learners (D)||2|
|CIED 4724||Classroom Management in the Multicultural PK-12/ Secondary School (semester prior to Student Teaching) 2||4|
|CIED 4720||Internship in the Secondary Classroom (Student Teaching) 2||9|
Minimum GPA 2.50 required in combination with Major Requirements. Certification requirements that meet GE requirements.
Full admission to Professional Education required.
- 40 hours of upper-division coursework.
- Required for graduation and recommendation for Standard Certification:
- 2.50 Overall GPA;
- 2.50 GPA in Major Requirements; and
- 2.50 GPA in Professional Core Requirements.
- The student must earn minimum grades of “C” or “P” in each course in the Major Requirements and Professional Core Requirements and specified courses in General Education; and must earn grades of “P” in all sections of observation courses and student teaching for recommendation for Certification.
- Students must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language at the novice high level from among those languages identified by the Office of Educational Quality and Accountability.
- For teacher certification, students must successfully complete OSAT (017), “U.S. History/OK History/Government/Economics”.
- Students may also take OSAT (018), World History/Geography” and/or OSAT (032) “Psychology/Sociology” to add additional certification areas.
Additional State/OSU Requirements
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 or 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU.
- Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; 8 transfer correspondence hours.
- Students will be held responsible for degree requirements in effect at the time of matriculation and any changes that are made, so long as these changes do not result in semester credit hours being added or do not delay graduation.
- Degrees that follow this plan must be completed by the end of Summer 2026.