Environmental Geoscience, BS
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2022-2023. Learn more about University Academic Regulation 3.1.
Minimum Overall Grade Point Average: 2.00
Total Hours: 120
|General Education Requirements|
|See Academic Regulation 3.5|
|ENGL 1113||Composition I||3|
|or ENGL 1313||Critical Analysis and Writing I|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Critical Analysis and Writing II|
|American History & Government|
|HIST 1103||Survey of American History||3|
|or HIST 1483||American History to 1865 (H)|
|or HIST 1493||American History Since 1865 (DH)|
|POLS 1113||American Government||3|
|Analytical & Quantitative Thought (A)|
|MATH 1513||College Algebra (A)||3|
|Courses designated (H)||6|
|Natural Sciences (N)|
|Must include one Laboratory Science (L) course|
|BIOL 1114||Introductory Biology (LN)||4|
|CHEM 1314||Chemistry I (LN)||4|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences (S)|
|Course designated (S)||3|
|Additional General Education|
|Courses designated (A), (H), (N), or (S)||8|
|Diversity (D) & International Dimension (I)|
|May be completed in any part of the degree plan|
|Select at least one Diversity (D) course|
|Select at least one International Dimension (I) course|
|First Year Seminar|
|(Transfer students with 15 hours exempt)||1|
|Arts & Humanities|
|See note 2.a.||3|
|Natural & Mathematical Sciences|
|GEOL 1014||Geology and Human Affairs (LN)||4|
|or GEOL 1114||Physical Geology (LN)|
|PHYS 1114||College Physics I (LN)||4|
|GEOL 4300||Geology Colloquium||1|
|0-6 hours. See note 3.|
|Upper-Division General Education|
|Select 6 hours outside major department. See note 2.c.|
|Minimum grade of "C" in all Geology courses.|
|GEOL 2103||Fundamentals of Geophysics||3|
|GEOL 2403||Chemistry of Earth Systems||3|
|GEOL 2464||Rocks and Minerals||4|
|GEOL 3503||Environmental Geology (N)||3|
|GEOG 4073||Climate Change: Past, Present, and Future||3|
|GEOG 4203||Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems||3|
|GEOG 4343||Geographic Information Systems: Resource Management Applications||3|
|NREM 3013||Applied Ecology and Conservation 1||3-4|
|or BIOL 3034||General Ecology|
|or ENVR 3113||Sampling and Analyses for Solving Environmental Problems|
|SOIL 2124||Fundamentals of Soil Science (N)||4|
|POLS 4363||Environmental Law And Policy||3|
|Select 17-18 hours from the following: 1||17-18|
|Evolution of the Earth (LN)|
|Principles of Stratigraphy and Sedimentology|
|Introduction to Oceanography (N)|
|Environmental Data Analytics|
|Spatial Analysis (A)|
|Geospatial Applications for Unmanned Aerial Systems|
|Elements of Environmental Science (N)|
|Forest Health and Disturbance Ecology|
|Select 14 hours||14|
If BIOL 3034 taken, then 17 hours will need to be taken from this group.
- See the College of Arts and Sciences Requirements.
- Upper-Division Credit: Total hours must include at least 40 hours in courses numbered 3000 or above.
- Hours in One Department: For B.A. and B.S. degrees, no more than 54 hours in one department may be applied to degree requirements.
Additional State/OSU Requirements
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 or 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU.
- Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; 8 transfer correspondence hours.
- Students will be held responsible for degree requirements in effect at the time of matriculation and any changes that are made, so long as these changes do not result in semester credit hours being added or do not delay graduation.
- Degrees that follow this plan must be completed by the end of Summer 2028.