Counseling: Mental Health Counseling, MS
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2020-2021. Learn more about Graduate College Academic Regulation 7.0.
Total Hours: 60 Hours
|CPSY 5453||Vocational and Career Information||3|
|CPSY 5473||Basic Counseling Skills 1||3|
|CPSY 5493||Professional and Ethical Issues in Counseling||3|
|CPSY 5503||Multicultural Counseling||3|
|CPSY 5553||Theories of Counseling 1||3|
|CPSY 5563||Conceptualization and Diagnosis in Counseling||3|
|CPSY 5583||Group Process||3|
|CPSY 6323||Psychological Consultation||3|
|CPSY 6553||Advanced Practice in Marital and Family Treatment||3|
|EPSY 5103||Human Development in Psychology||3|
|REMS 5013||Research Design and Methodology||3|
|REMS 5953||Statistical Methods in Education||3|
|CPSY 5593||Counseling Practicum 2||3|
|CPSY 5683||Internship In Counseling I||3|
|CPSY 5693||Internship In Counseling II||3|
|Community Counseling Specialization|
|CPSY 5483||Mental Health Counseling||3|
|CPSY 5523||Assessment in Counseling 3||3|
|CPSY 5673||Substance Abuse Counseling||3|
|Select 6 credit hours, to be chosen from a list of courses approved by the state board for licensure).||6|
Prerequisite for CPSY 5593.
Prerequisite for CPSY 5683/5693.
Prerequisite for either REMS 5373 or EPSY 5783.
Counseling: Mental Health Counseling Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 60 graduate credit hours of coursework for the Mental Health Counseling Option and 57 hours of coursework for the School Counseling Option.
- Nine (9) credit hours may be transferred from other recognized graduate programs. Tulsa students may transfer up to fifteen (15) credit hours from the University of Oklahoma-Tulsa campus.
- The last eight (8) hours must be taken at Oklahoma State University and taken for resident credit.
- As least 24 credit hours must be in 5000 level courses or above. (Students who choose to write a master’s thesis for 6 credit hours must take at least 22 credit hours of 5000 level courses.) 4000 level courses taken for graduate credit will not be approved by the Oklahoma licensing board for professional counselors.
- A minimum overall grade point average of 3.00 is required in all academic coursework.
- A grade of B or better must be earned in CPSY 5473, 5553, 5593, and 5683/5693. Students who earn a grade below a B in any of these courses will be required to repeat the course or may be suspended from the program. Students will only be allowed to repeat a course one time to earn a higher grade.
Graduate College Master's Program Requirements
Learn more about Graduate College 2020-2021 Master’s Degree Program Requirements. Check the General Graduate College academic regulations for minimal GPA, language proficiency and other general requirements.