Computer Science, PhD
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2019-2020. Learn more about Graduate College Academic Regulation 7.0.
Total Hours: 60 Hours
|Core Requirements 1, 2|
|CS 5113||Computer Organization and Architecture||3|
|CS 5313||Formal Language Theory||3|
|CS 5323||Design and Implementation of Operating Systems II||3|
|CS 5413||Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis II||3|
|CS 5513||Numerical Computation||3|
|Select 12 hours from one area of CS at the 6000 level, excluding CS 6000.||12|
|Secondary Area of Study|
|Select 6 hours in one area of CS at the 6000 level, outside the area of specialization and excluding CS 6000.||6|
|Electives 3, 4|
|Select 6 hours of elective CS courses at the 5000-level or above.||6|
|CS 6000 (Offered for variable credit, 2-15 credit hours, maximum of 40 credit hours.)||21|
For Ph.D. students who have not earned a master's degree, at most one grade of "C" in a core course is acceptable providing it is offset by a grade of "A" in another core course.
A student who has completed a master's degree at another university may petition to have one or more of the OSU core courses waived in favor of equivalent graduate-level course(s) taken elsewhere. The question or whether or not a course at another university is equivalent to an OSU core course is entirely up to the judgment of the department.
These elective hours cannot include any courses claimed Core Requirements, Research Specialization or Secondary Area of Study, nor may they include any courses used on the plan of study for a master's degree, nor may they include any hours of CS 5000 or of CS 6000.
Students who have not completed a master's degree must satisfy the above elective requirements in this item plus the elective requirements for the master's degree (under the thesis option) in this department.
General Graduate College Requirements
- A minimum Grade-Point-Average of 3.00 is required
- A minimum Grade of "C" is required in all degree applicable courses
- No courses utilizing the Pass-No Pass grading system are permitted
- GRAD 5082 or GRAD 5092 may not be used to meet degree requirements
Additional Doctor of Philosophy (PhD.) Requirements
- 90 credits beyond the Bachelor's degree, 60 credits beyond the Master's degree are required
- At least seventy-five percent of coursework on the Plan of Study must include 5000 and 6000 level courses
- A minimum of 15 hours at the 6000 level with a grade of SR for the doctoral dissertation must be complete. The maximum number of dissertation hours (6000 with a grade of SR) permissible on a Plan of Study must not exceed three-fourths of the total credit hours in the approved graduate degree program
- Credit for all courses on a graduate Plan of Study must have been awarded within 10 years of completion of all degree requirements
- A minimum of 30 in-residence credit hours are required
- Non-Course requirements:
- Doctoral Candidacy
- Dissertation Defense
- Dissertation Submission/Approval