Early Child Care and Development, BS
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2022-2023. Learn more about University Academic Regulation 3.1.
Minimum Overall Grade Point Average: 2.50
Total Hours: 120
|General Education Requirements|
|See Academic Regulation 3.5|
|ENGL 1113||Composition I||3|
|ENGL 1213||Composition II||3|
|American History & Government|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Survey of American History|
|American History to 1865 (H)|
|American History Since 1865 (DH)|
|POLS 1113||American Government||3|
|Analytical & Quantitative Thought (A)|
|Courses designated (A)||3|
|Must include one MATH course.|
|Courses designated (H)||6|
|Natural Sciences (N)|
|Must include one Laboratory Science (L) course|
|6 hours from courses designated (N) with one (L)||6|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences (S)|
|3 hours from courses designated (S)||3|
|Additional General Education|
|Courses designated (A), (H), (N), or (S)||10|
|EDHS 1112||First Year Seminar||2|
|or EDHS 3112||Education and Human Sciences First-Year Seminar for Transfer Students|
|HDFS 2113||Lifespan Human Development (S)||3|
|Minimum grade of "C" in each course|
|Pre-Practicum I Courses|
|HDFS 3023||Child Development - Birth to 3||3|
|HDFS 3033||Child Development - 4 to 8||3|
|HDFS 3043||Professional Development for Early Childhood Educators||3|
|HDFS 4013||Practicum I in Early Childhood||3|
|Pre-Practicum II Courses|
|HDFS 3263||Curriculum Development for Children Ages Birth to 3||3|
|HDFS 3273||Curriculum Development for Children Ages 4-8||3|
|HDFS 3283||Assessing Young Children and their Environments to Enhance Development||3|
|HDFS 3293||Understanding and Adapting for Developmental Differences||3|
|HDFS 3053||Child Guidance and Classroom Environments||3|
|HDFS 4023||Practicum II in Early Childhood||3|
|Professional Development Courses|
|HDFS 3303||Administration and Supervision in Early Childhood Settings||3|
|HDFS 3063||Health, Safety And Nutrition||3|
|HDFS 3313||Technology And Young Children||3|
|HDFS 3323||Diversity in the Lives of Young Children and Families||3|
|HDFS 3333||Working with Families||3|
|HDFS 4036||Practicum III in Early Childhood||6|
|Electives can be met with any additional courses providing student meets required prerequisites.||24|
- 45 hours must be upper-division.
- Transfer Admission Requirements: 2.00 for less than 31 hours; 2.25 for 31-45 hours; 2.50 for more than 45 hours.
- Required for graduation:
- 2.50 overall GPA, and
- 2.50 GPA in Major Requirements and College/Departmental Requirements.
Additional State/OSU Requirements
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 or 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU.
- Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; 8 transfer correspondence hours.
- Students will be held responsible for degree requirements in effect at the time of matriculation and any changes that are made, so long as these changes do not result in semester credit hours being added or do not delay graduation.
- Degrees that follow this plan must be completed by the end of Summer 2028.