Strategic Communication: Sport Communication, BA
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2023-2024. Learn more about University Academic Regulation 3.1.
Minimum Overall Grade Point Average: 2.00
Total Hours: 120
|General Education Requirements|
|See Academic Regulation 3.5|
|ENGL 1113||Composition I||3|
|or ENGL 1313||Critical Analysis and Writing I|
|ENGL 1213||Composition II||3|
|or ENGL 1413||Critical Analysis and Writing II|
|or ENGL 3323||Technical Writing|
|American History & Government|
|HIST 1103||Survey of American History||3|
|or HIST 1483||American History to 1865 (H)|
|or HIST 1493||American History Since 1865 (DH)|
|POLS 1113||American Government||3|
|Analytical & Quantitative Thought (A)|
|STAT 2013||Elementary Statistics (A)||3|
|or STAT 2023||Elementary Statistics for Business and Economics (A)|
|or STAT 2053||Elementary Statistics for the Social Sciences (A)|
|Courses designated (H)||6|
|Natural Sciences (N)|
|Must include one Laboratory Science (L) course|
|Courses designated (N)||6|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences (S)|
|ECON 1113||The Economics of Social Issues (S)||3|
|or ECON 2103||Introduction to Microeconomics (S)|
|MC 1143||Media in a Diverse Society (DS)||3|
|SPCH 2713||Introduction to Speech Communication (S)||3|
|Additional General Education|
|Courses designated (A), (H), (N), or (S)||4|
|Diversity (D) & International Dimension (I)|
|May be completed in any part of the degree plan|
|Select at least one Diversity (D) course|
|Select as least one International Dimension (I) course|
|First Year Seminar|
|(Transfer students with 15 hours exempt)||1|
|Arts & Humanities|
|See note 2.a.||9|
|Natural & Mathematical Sciences|
|See note 2.b.||3|
|See note 3.a.||9|
|Upper-Division General Education|
|Select 6 hours outside major department. See note 2.c.|
|Minimum 2.50 GPA. Minimum grade of "C" in all MC-MMJ-SC-SPM prefix courses.|
|Lower-division Professional Sequence|
|2.75 GPA and declared major in SC required to take courses below:|
|MC 2003||Mass Media Style and Structure||3|
|MC 2023||Electronic Communication||3|
|SC 2183||Introduction to Strategic Communications||3|
|Upper-division Professional Sequence|
|Proficiency Review required to take courses below:|
|MC 4143||Ethics and Issues in Mass Communications||3|
|MC 4163||Mass Communication Law||3|
|SC 3353||Persuasive Writing for Strategic Communicators||3|
|SC 3753||Graphic Design for Strategic Communication||3|
|SC 3953||Research Methods for Strategic Communicators||3|
|Select 6 hours of MC, MMJ, SC or SPM||6|
|SC 4493||Strategic Writing for Content Creation||3|
|SC 4843||Strategic Communication Campaigns||3|
|SPM 3783||Strategic Sport Communication||3|
|SPM 3843||Contemporary Sport Consumption||3|
|SPM 4833||Sports Information Systems||3|
|MKTG 3213||Marketing (S)||3|
|MKTG 3713||Sports Marketing||3|
|Select 3 hours from the following:||3|
|Cultural History of American Sports (DH)|
|The Economics of Sport|
|Sport, Place and Society (S)|
|Social Issues in Sports Management|
|International Sports Management (I)|
|Race, Politics and Sports (D)|
|Sociology of Sport (S)|
|Select 4 hours||4|
|May need to include 6 hours upper-division general education outside major department. See note 2.c.|
|May not be able to use additional courses in MC-MMJ-SC-SPM|
|MATH 1483 or MATH 1513 required for students who do not place directly in STAT.|
Strategic Communications Requirements
- A 2.75 graduation retention GPA and at least 24 hours completed required to initially declare major. Passing the proficiency review is required for upper-division major requirements. This includes a 2.75 graduation retention GPA, and at least 12 OSU hours earned, and a 2.75 OSU GPA, and a passing score on the Language Proficiency Exam.
- A minimum of 72 hours must be taken outside ofMC-MMJ-SC-SPM.No more than 12 hours in MC-MMJ-SC-SPM can be transferred from other institutions.
- Students are required to develop and maintain a portfolio exhibiting specific and appropriate work including required class assignments.
- See the College of Arts and Sciences Requirements.
- Minimum 2.50 GPA in all MC-MMJ-SC-SPM prefix courses.
- Upper-Division Credit: Total hours must include at least 40 hours in courses numbered 3000 or above.
Additional State/OSU Requirements
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 or 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU.
- Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; 8 transfer correspondence hours.
- Students will be held responsible for degree requirements in effect at the time of matriculation and any changes that are made, so long as these changes do not result in semester credit hours being added or do not delay graduation.
- Degrees that follow this plan must be completed by the end of Summer 2029.