Civil Engineering, BSCV
Requirements for Students Matriculating in or before Academic Year 2017-2018. Learn more about University Academic Regulation 3.1.
Minimum Overall Grade Point Average: 2.00
Total Hours: 128
|General Education Requirements|
|All General Education coursework requirements are satisfied upon completion of this degree plan|
|ENGL 1113||Composition I 1||3|
|or ENGL 1313||Critical Analysis and Writing I|
|ENGL 3323||Technical Writing||3|
|American History & Government|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Survey of American History|
|American History to 1865|
|American History Since 1865|
|POLS 1113||American Government||3|
|Analytical & Quantitative Thought (A)|
|MATH 2144||Calculus I (A) 1||4|
|MATH 2153||Calculus II (A) 1||3|
|MATH 2163||Calculus III 1||3|
|Courses designated (H)||6|
|Natural Sciences (N)|
|Must include one Laboratory Science (L) course.|
|CHEM 1414||General Chemistry for Engineers (LN) 1||4|
|or CHEM 1515||General Chemistry (LN)|
|BIOL 1114||Introductory Biology (LN)||4|
|or GEOL 1114||Physical Geology (LN)|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences (S)|
|SPCH 2713||Introduction to Speech Communication (S)||3|
|Select 3 hours of any course designated (S)||3|
|Diversity (D) & International Dimension (I)|
|May be completed in any part of the degree plan.|
|Select at least one Diversity (D) course|
|Select at least one International Dimension (I) course|
|PHYS 2014||General Physics (LN) 1||4|
|PHYS 2114||General Physics (LN) 1||4|
|ENGR 1111||Introduction to Engineering 1||1|
|ENGR 1322||Engineering Design with CAD 1||2|
|ENGR 1412||Introductory Engineering Computer Programming 1||2|
|ENSC 2113||Statics 1||3|
|ENSC 2123||Elementary Dynamics||3|
|ENSC 2143||Strength of Materials 1||3|
|CIVE 2041||Civil and Environmental Engineering Seminar||1|
|CIVE 3614||Engineering Surveying||4|
|CIVE 3813||Environmental Engineering Science||3|
|MATH 2233||Differential Equations 1||3|
|STAT 4033||Engineering Statistics||3|
|or STAT 4073||Engineering Statistics with Design of Experiments|
|ENSC 3233||Fluid Mechanics 1||3|
|CIVE 3413||Structural Analysis 1||3|
|CIVE 3513||Structural Steel Design||3|
|CIVE 3523||Reinforced Concrete Design||3|
|CIVE 3623||Engineering Materials Laboratory||3|
|CIVE 3633||Transportation Engineering||3|
|CIVE 3714||Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering||4|
|CIVE 3833||Applied Hydraulics||3|
|CIVE 3843||Hydrology I||3|
|CIVE 4041||Engineering Practice||1|
|CIVE 4043||Senior Design||3|
|CIVE 4273||Construction Engineering and Project Management||3|
|CIVE 4833||Unit Operations in Environmental Engineering||3|
|Industrial Engineering & Management|
|IEM 3503||Engineering Economic Analysis||3|
|Select 9 hours of 4000 level courses in Civil Engineering not required in the curriculum||9|
Complete courses prior to admission to Professional School.
Admission to Professional School (required)
- Refer to the OSU Catalog corresponding to your matriculation date for detailed admissions requirements.
- A minimum GPA of 2.00 is required in Professional School coursework (right hand column).
- A ‘C’ or better is required in each course that is a prerequisite for a CIVE course.
- The major engineering design experience, capstone course, is satisfied by CIVE 4043 Senior Design. If “B” or higher is not earned in ENGL 1113 Composition I, then ENGL 1213 Composition II must be completed.
Additional State/OSU Requirements
- At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 or 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU.
- Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; 8 transfer correspondence hours.
- Students will be held responsible for degree requirements in effect at the time of matriculation and any changes that are made, so long as these changes do not result in semester credit hours being added or do not delay graduation.
- Degrees that follow this plan must be completed by the end of Summer 2023.